Creating a video for your story
- Create and upload your video to your social media account (such as YouTube) and be sure to list the link to your video or channel when submitting your story.
TIPS ON HOW TO MAKE AN AUDIO SLIDESHOW
- Making a video can be as simple as putting together a series of still images – it doesn’t need to be moving footage to make a Youtube video
- Record your story on your computer, or smartphone, or video camera. It can be as simple as recording your story in your own words on your computer. Or you can find someone in your organisation, a co-worker or a member, who would like to speak about the organisation. Maybe you would like to combine the two elements. Play around with your positioning in relation to the microphone to make sure you’re recording the best quality sound. You can also use music – as long as you have permission from the artist/s – and other sounds which might help tell the story. In the case of a dairy, for example, why not record the sound of your cows coming in to be milked.
- Gather together the photos you want to use. You want to think about which pictures you have and can take which will help you to tell the story. You might be surprised about how many pictures you will need. Expect that it will take at least 30 really good photos to make an audio slideshow work well. But anticipate that you’ll need double that at the beginning before you begin teasing out the best photos.
- Divide your photos into sequences. The best audio slideshows are between two to three minutes long – in our opinion. It’s long enough to tell a story but short enough that it doesn’t drag on for your viewers. Imagine that for a slideshow of this length you will need as much as 40 photographs divided into between five and six sequences. The photos should be a mixture of close ups and wide-angled shots.
- Pull the sound and your photos together. There are a couple of video editing programs that most people have – iMovie and Windows Movie Maker are the most common. But there are many others that you can download for free just by searching on the internet.
- Join Youtube, if you’re not already a member. We’ve decided to use Youtube as our video sharing platform, if you’re not already a member you can join by going to www.youtube.com
- Upload your video. Follow the instructions on Youtube to upload your video. You can also upload videos that already exist on Youtube to the stories.coop channel or you can upload videos from other formats like vimeo. Give your video a title and tell viewers briefly what it’s about.
- Add some tags to your video. Adding tags to your video helps it be picked up and viewed by other Youtube users. Consider adding some tags like coops2012 or coops.
- Lookout for your video on other websites as it is shared around the co-operative sector. Watch our partner websites, including www.2012.coop to see if your video is chosen as a Story of the Day in 2012, or see if it features on the leading co-operative website in the UK, www.uk.coop.
TIPS ON HOW TO USE THE TOOL PREZI FOR YOUR STORY
- Pictures tell a thousand words. Use pictures as much as possible to illustrate the story you want to tell.
- Short, sharp statements as opposed to long paragraphs get across a story. See here for more detailed instructions on how to use prezi (www.prezi.com).